Looking for new foods to fuel my active lifestyle I have discovered the benefits of high protein, low fat, low sugar and natural ingredients! I have linked benefits to these foods for you to see, but the important thing is to actually try them in your nutrition! I am guilty of buying that bag of Quinoa and letting it sit there unused for months…. and afraid of sweeteners that may encourage my sugar indulgence, when the easy natural alternative in stevia was right there. My other favorites are also included, as I can put Penzey\’s cinnamon on everything! YUM! Love this new recipe and I will finally be eating that bag of quinoa! 🙂
Nancy\’s Strawberry Quinoa Porridge
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 cup Tru Roots Quinoa
- 1 tsp Extra Fancy Penzeys Vietnamese Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp pink himalayan sea salt
- 1 cup 1% fat Milk or unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- ½ cup raisins
- 1g package Stevia in the Raw
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk just to top it off (like whip cream) 🙂
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine quinoa and 2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 12 minutes.
- Pour in milk and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir in nutmeg, cinnamon, apple, raisins and stevia
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with strawberries, a little unsweetened almond milk (I like the vanilla) and just a little more cinnamon, because I can\’t seem to get enough!
Store the extras in the refrigerator for a quick snack or reheat for the next day\’s breakfast!
I entered the recipe in Lose it for nutrition info and logging. 200 calories and fills you right up! I am running a 5K tonight with some extra miles, so we shall see how it performs!
What is your favorite \”super food\” ?
Thanks for stopping by – please leave a comment if you have some great tips to share on cooking quinoa or other super foods! YUM!